Woodrow Wilson High School commits to creating an educational atmosphere where students can excel in a safe, inclusive and engaging learning community. We strive to instill in our students lifelong learning and an appreciation for diversity by providing measurable, challenging, and equitable learning experiences. We endeavor to prepare all students for their future roles as citizens in local and global communities. We actively continue to incorporate the involvement of parents, guardians, and the community in support of our mission.
We believe student learning is the chief priority of the school.
We believe that every child can learn.
We believe that all students deserve to be offered a quality education that promotes high academic standards.
Woodrow Wilson High School’s ancestry has been traced back to 1885, when a high school was organized at The Academy on Glasgow Street, which had housed only grammar and elementary students from 1850 through 1884. The first high school class graduated that same year. In 1886 the Glasgow Street building was no longer suitable, so the city erected a new building on Green Street, known as the Green Street School. High school, grammar and elementary students moved there from the Glasgow Street location in September 1886.
In 1888, Portsmouth High School was formally established but continued to be housed in the Green Street building. Portsmouth High School moved to a brand new building on Washington Street in 1909. The new facility was the first one planned for the exclusive use of the high school.
In September, 1919 Portsmouth High School was renamed Woodrow Wilson High School and moved to a new building on High Street. The vacated building became an elementary school called Washington Street School, and later F. T. Briggs School. In September, 1955, WWHS moved again to a new facility on Willet Drive, and the vacated building on High Street became Harry Hunt Junior High School. In 1993 there was a major school reorganization plan that reduced the number of city high schools from five to three. A portion of the students from Cradock High School and the “old” Woodrow Wilson High School were merged into the Manor High School building. The name of Manor High School was changed to Woodrow Wilson High School to retain the historic significance of the city’s oldest high school.
(this brief history was compiled by Bob Ainsworth, WWHS of '55, from a booklet on the histroy of WWHS by a former teacher Leila Deans: "A few Facts Concerning the Early History of the Portsmouth School System")
School Colors: Royal Blue, Orange and White
School mascot: The Presidents